Oh to be such a lady!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lessons from going to the park

I have been learning a lot lately about picking your battles with children. When to be stubborn, when to teach, when to let a child go off and just learn from an experience. The other day I was walking to take the two little boys I nanny to the park (Nathan age 4 and Josh age 6). They asked me a if they could climb up and down a big hill. My first instincts was NO WAY I don't want to "deal" with the hassle of managing how many times, and then fighting with them when they were to be done. Last time they had asked this I said now and they had a big fit , that turned into the threat of "I will never take you to the park in this behavior" and tears from them. So this time I thought "hmmmmm maybe if I just relax and take fifteen minutes extra to let them explore it will be easier" . I am glad I had this thought because it was!!! they climbed up and down the hill a few times, (I gave them a certain amount of times they could do this). and then we left. NO tears NO threats, and GOOD happy boys!!!
This made me think about life aswell. How in life sometimes we tend to make a battle or a drama, or put in the victim card. A lot of things that happen in our lives are, our choices. Sometimes we need to just sit back relax , and not make something more then it is. Life is to be enjoyed, it is for learning and growing. Life is also HARD why on earth would we want to make the choice and cause the drama and make it harder?? I remember hearing Gordon B. Hinkley talking about how we are supposed to be a happy people. I truely believe this. I also believe that we should shape our lives around helping other people and supporting them in their decisions to be happy. As I said life is hard, everyone needs love and support and we need to give it to them! As a nanny I find that being a positive rewarder is better then being a negative punisher. The kids tend to be happier and more independent in themselves.
Its amazing how life teaches us and how we can have moments to think and remember whats importants. Even if the reminder is letting a child climb up and down a hill!!! Life is really an interesting thing! I hope I will always learn and find lessons in life. I want to be the best I can be when I leave this earth!!
Clancy

No comments:

Post a Comment